Interim Sustainability Consultant
Our client, one of the UKs largest housing associations, requires an Interim Sustainability Consultant to lead on a number of key strategic priority areas. The assignment is for an initial six month term and to start ASAP.
Working as part of a high performing function and reporting to the Director of Asset Management, you will provide strategic policy direction and leadership, operational management and long term financial planning. Some deliverables of the assignment will include the following:
- Develop and implement the Sustainability Strategy including detailed action plans, projects and metrics for energy, water, waste, green spaces, procurement and other resource use.
- Provide regular reports to senior management and the Board.
- Identify, apply for and maximise external grant funding through liaison with financial sector, central government and funding bodies for energy efficiency works on our homes as well as external funding for research on resource efficiency.
- Devise an energy data improvement plan and direct collection and processing of datasets using various modelling software and maintain a plan to improve the energy efficiency of portfolio in line with strategic objectives.
- Oversee the overall delivery of existing and new funded projects
- Lead on cross-departmental initiatives that will enable the organisation to develop approaches to future-proof its homes. This includes achieving energy standards that will contribute to meeting the Government's Net Zero Carbon target by 2050. This requires a good understanding of carbon emissions and carbon offset schemes as well as innovative approaches to new build, retrofits and disposals.
- Formulate and oversee the delivery of an energy retrofit programme.
- Ensure that the compliance requirements and targets for SHIFT Gold, ESGs and UNSDGs are met and oversee the ongoing collation of data, ensuring that this information is based on robust science-led evidence.
- Take ownership of the budget management for income and expenditure, finding solutions to maximise income and deliver value for money.
- Lead on the development of processes to implement new legislative and regulatory requirements relating to energy, environmental and sustainability and provide advice on best practice and continuous improvements in achieving these requirements.
- In line with the aims of the Sustainability Strategy, provide strategic advice to our Procurement team on environmental best practice to ensure that the products and services are sustainably sourced in a cost effective way by the organisation.
- Identify opportunities for innovation and the potential to expand the provision of renewable energy technologies for installation in our offices and homes.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- A proven track record of successfully formulating and delivering corporate sustainability strategy for a large and varied portfolio of assets.
- A relevant academic qualification (relevant recognised degree standard qualification in a relevant environmental science), and/or membership of relevant professional bodies such as IEMA, RICS or CIOB.
- Expert knowledge of developing and delivering energy efficiency action plans, and reporting on strategic performance to the executive team.
- Adept at working in a customer focused environment and engaging with customers and colleague; providing advice and support regarding the technicalities of energy efficiency works and financial models to deliver these works.
- Highly influential at developing a wider business consensus for addressing environmental issues, which also encompasses the expected socio economic benefits and reputational considerations.
- Expert knowledge of relevant environmental legislation and/or codes that underpin the delivery of an efficient and effective property related housing service.
- Prior social housing knowledge will be advantageous but not essential.
- Highly proficient at analysing and evaluating complex information and develop appropriate strategies and action plans, and to present findings clearly to a range of audiences.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities; well-developed, ambassadorial, influencing, networking, promotional and negotiating skills.
- Outstanding stakeholder influencing and managing skills and ability, internally and externally sector wide.
|Remuneration:||Circa £500 per day|
|Discipline:||Board and Leadership|
|Date Added:||27 Aug 2021|
|Closing Date:||24 Sep 2021|