Games, toys and wooden floors
According to the latest official ‘PRODCOM Report‘ from the ONS the top ten fastest-growing manufacturing sectors in the UK are as follows:
- Games and toys – 76.1% growth;
- Assembled parquet floors - 66.7% growth;
- Starches and starch products – 23.8% growth;
- Motor vehicles - 20.9% growth;
- Tanning and dressing of leather; dressing and dyeing of fur - 19.4% growth;
- Other plastic products - 19.3% growth;
- Kitchen furniture – 18.9% growth;
- Builders ware of plastic - 17.6% growth;
- Air and spacecraft and related machinery - 17.4% growth;
- Central heating radiators and boilers - 14.9% growth.
There are some unsurprising entries in the list such as automotive, air and spacecraft. However, I can say with absolute certainty that I would not have put down games, toys and assembled parquet floors as the top two fastest growing manufacturing sectors in the UK!
I know gaming is a huge industry in itself, but I did not realise parquet flooring would be a contender. As always I would be keen to hear from my manufacturing community if they have heard of more job opportunities from any of the sectors featuring in the above list!
Claire Lauder is the Principal of Industry at Interim Partners.